Dear EFTA colleagues and visitors to our webpage,
Please take some time to browse our website, on this page you will find information about our organisation and its activities. We have a three-chamber structure consisting of the Chamber of Individual Members (CIM), Training Institutes Chamber (TIC) and the National Family Therapy Organisations Chamber (NFTO). Our chamber pages provide a resource and fund of information for our members all across Europe.
Family and systemic therapists work in many different areas of practice, in the public and private health sphere, in universities, government departments and businesses where systemic concepts and family therapy practice are making a difference in the lives of the families, colleagues and students that our members work with.
Today is world Autism awareness day. People living with an Autism Spectrum Condition can face significant challenges in a world that does not always recognise non visible disabilities and can react to them and their family members in a way that increases stigma and isolation. In conversation with Mari Evans a Family Therapist and Neurodevelopmental Lead for Berkshire CYPF-CAMHS in the UK, she describes what family therapy brings to autism is, a curiosity about difference, an irreverence to diagnosis as a description of deficit and a celebration of diversity. We as therapists can invite families to share what challenges them, to celebrate their unique qualities and to embrace their uniqueness without fear of judgement or reprimand – be that if they are autistic or not.
Creating communities of practice that are inclusive, tolerant and aware of neurodiversity is an important direction for our field, as are the articles and research papers that are highlighting the work of family and systemic therapists in this area. I hope that at our upcoming EFTA Congress in Naples we will have an opportunity to hear more about their work. The abstract submission process is open and can be accessed form the link on this page.
Monica Whyte Read more…
Dear Friends and Colleagues in the EFTA community,
It is with great sadness that we have to announce that our esteemed president Rodolfo de Bernart died yesterday (18th February).
Our thoughts are with his family and colleagues at this difficult time.
We have lost one of the leading lights of our field, his enthusiasm, creativity, humour and passion for systemic family therapy and his commitment to our profession and its development has made a lasting impact on EFTA.
Most of all we have lost a dear friend, colleague and mentor.
On behalf of the board of EFTA
Mony Elkaim, Chair EFTA-TIC
Anne Chouhy, Chair EFTA-NFTO
Monica Whyte, Chair EFTA-NFTO
« I fall asleep in the full and certain hope
That my slumber shall not be broken;
And that, though I be all-forgetting,
Yet shall I not be all-forgotten,
But continue that life in the thoughts and deeds
of those I have loved. »
EFTA is committed to protecting the privacy and proper use of the personal data we process and communicate to you. This policy applies to the website www.europeanfamilytherapy.eu, and to the subdomains of the 3 Chambers www.eftacim.org, www.efta-tic.eu, www.efta-nfto.com and applies also when you provide us with data by non-electronic ways.
Please read carefully the basic information on data protection that you will find below.
If you have any questions or doubts about the way we process and use your personal data or wish to exercise any of the rights mentioned, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send an e-mail to the following address: EFTA, rue Vilain XIIII 38, 1000 Brussels, Belgium. Read more…
The European Family Therapy Association (EFTA) is an international association dedicated to scientific purposes.
EFTA was established in 1990 and has members from 29 European nations. It is a strictly non-profit making association.
EFTA’s members comprise currently of 29 national organizations (EFTA-NFTO), 108 training institutes (EFTA-TIC) and about 1100 individual members (EFTA-CIM).
The main goals leading us are:
- Linking and coordinating European national organizations, institutes and individuals in the field of family therapy and systemic practice.
- Promoting the highest level of competence and quality in practice, research, supervision and teaching in family therapy and allied fields.
- Enhancing the training of systemic professionals and family therapists at regional, national and European levels by organizing and facilitating exchanges between individuals as well as professional centers.
- Facilitating European co-operation and exchange of ideas and experience among associations, institutions and individuals concerning medical, legal, social, psychological, gender, cultural, economic, spiritual and other aspects of human experiences in relation to systemic thinking and practice.
- Spreading information about family therapy and the systemic approaches throughout Europe to individuals, institutions and organizations concerned with the health and development of families and human systems.
- Promoting research, conferences, publications, audio-visual tools and other scientific material in this field through meetings and all other appropriate communicational methods.
- Enhancing the training of systemic professionals and family therapists at regional, national and European levels by organizing and facilitating exchanges between individuals, and professional centers.
- Creating links with other organizations having common or compatible aims in and outside of Europe.
The activities for achieving the aims of the association are:
- Regular international meetings, conferences and seminars
- International congresses
- Publication of a book series
- Professional exchanges between family therapy centers, therapists in training and trainers from different European countries
- Establishment of committees related to the aims of EFTA
- Other activities as to advance the aims of the association
Help EFTA grow!
- Encourage professionals, Training Institutes and National Federations you consider eligible to join. (Refer to the websites of the 3 Chambers for membership categories and criteria).
- Promote EFTA to students and trainees, supporting them to apply for associate membership.